Saturday 2 October 2010

Professor Terrance Fitz-Henry 1939-2010


The Blog wishes to mark the passing of Terrance R. Fitz-Henry, retired professor of English and theatre at Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY., who has died at the age of 71.
Terry was hiking at Franconia Notch, New Hampshire when he died, where he was scattering the ashes of a close friend.

We would like to send our condolences to his family and friends.

Here is his on-line obituary

From the family members mentioned in the obituary, it appears he was the grandson of John Joseph Fitz-Henry of the Fitz-Henry family orignally of Arklow, County Wicklow.

Why not subscribe to this blog and get the updates sent to your inbox? Or send us an email about your Fitz(-)henry family links.

6 comments:

  1. Rest in peace, Terrence. You must have been a fascinating man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello- I'm Terrance Fitz-Henry's daughter. He was actually 70 when he died; not 71 - the AP article got it wrong. He was indeed the grandson of J.J. Fitz-Henry, and son of Charles James [Jim] F-H, and my mother remembers visiting Lottie Wicklow in Ireland at some point in the long-ago past. I can't believe the detail I'm reading on your other page about John Joseph F-H - incredible! We may have some other photos of him [J.J.], and certainly have photos of the next generation(s).

    And thanks, Ann - yes, he was a fascinating & amazing man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - My father's [Terrance Fitz-Henry] middle name was also Raymond, from his (if I'm getting the generations right) great-grandmother's surname.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear K8,
    I'm so glad I got the family connection right! It was sticking my neck out a bit to make the connection.
    If you want to email us directly through the Blog's email address, then I can send you all six generations that I have of your tree. And yes, we would love to see the family photos.
    Hope you and your family are OK.
    Best wishes
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrance Fitz-Henry pointed me in a direction I never left/ cannot believe he died so long ago; mentioned Kate when she was so young. I have not the words to describe his light in 1973 to 1976 until i transferred to Emerson College//////Cary Pollack 5/13/17

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the great fortune to have been a student of Terrance Fitz-Henry at Hartwick in the early 70's and to have been under his direction in several plays. As Cary so perfectly stated in the previous post, there are no "words to describe his light". My heart felt thank you, Prof. Fitz-Henry.

    ReplyDelete